Advanced search
1 file | 1.20 MB Add to list

Polytetrafluorethyleen-intoxicatie bij vogels

Nele Caekebeke (UGent) , Gunther Antonissen (UGent) , Patrick De Backer (UGent) and Siska Croubels (UGent)
Author
Organization
Abstract
Polytetrafluoroethylene is a unique polymer, which is very present in daily life, and is commonly known as Teflon. When thermal degradation takes place, toxic gasses and ultrafine particles appear, and may cause intoxication both in humans and animals. The composition and toxicity of these degradation products depend on the specific conditions at the moment of breakdown. The clinical symptoms and injuries differ greatly between species. Birds appear to be very sensitive, and intoxication mostly., results in sudden death. The main source of polytetrafluoroethylene intoxication in pet birds, is the heating of non-stick cookware in the kitchen. As the diagnosis and treatment often come too late, the emphasis must lay on prevention.
Keywords
PTFE, TEFLON, INHALATION, EXPOSURE, THERMAL-DEGRADATION, ACUTE TOXICOSIS, POLYMER-FUME FEVER, PYROLYSIS PRODUCTS, HEATED POLYTETRAFLUOROETHYLENE, COMBUSTION

Downloads

  • Caekebeke et al. 2016 Polytetrafluorethyleen-intoxicatie bij vogels.pdf
    • full text
    • |
    • open access
    • |
    • PDF
    • |
    • 1.20 MB

Citation

Please use this url to cite or link to this publication:

MLA
Caekebeke, Nele et al. “Polytetrafluorethyleen-intoxicatie Bij Vogels.” VLAAMS DIERGENEESKUNDIG TIJDSCHRIFT 85.1 (2016): 3–8. Print.
APA
Caekebeke, N., Antonissen, G., De Backer, P., & Croubels, S. (2016). Polytetrafluorethyleen-intoxicatie bij vogels. VLAAMS DIERGENEESKUNDIG TIJDSCHRIFT, 85(1), 3–8.
Chicago author-date
Caekebeke, Nele, Gunther Antonissen, Patrick De Backer, and Siska Croubels. 2016. “Polytetrafluorethyleen-intoxicatie Bij Vogels.” Vlaams Diergeneeskundig Tijdschrift 85 (1): 3–8.
Chicago author-date (all authors)
Caekebeke, Nele, Gunther Antonissen, Patrick De Backer, and Siska Croubels. 2016. “Polytetrafluorethyleen-intoxicatie Bij Vogels.” Vlaams Diergeneeskundig Tijdschrift 85 (1): 3–8.
Vancouver
1.
Caekebeke N, Antonissen G, De Backer P, Croubels S. Polytetrafluorethyleen-intoxicatie bij vogels. VLAAMS DIERGENEESKUNDIG TIJDSCHRIFT. 2016;85(1):3–8.
IEEE
[1]
N. Caekebeke, G. Antonissen, P. De Backer, and S. Croubels, “Polytetrafluorethyleen-intoxicatie bij vogels,” VLAAMS DIERGENEESKUNDIG TIJDSCHRIFT, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 3–8, 2016.
@article{7236937,
  abstract     = {Polytetrafluoroethylene is a unique polymer, which is very present in daily life, and is commonly known as Teflon. When thermal degradation takes place, toxic gasses and ultrafine particles appear, and may cause intoxication both in humans and animals. The composition and toxicity of these degradation products depend on the specific conditions at the moment of breakdown. The clinical symptoms and injuries differ greatly between species. Birds appear to be very sensitive, and intoxication mostly., results in sudden death. The main source of polytetrafluoroethylene intoxication in pet birds, is the heating of non-stick cookware in the kitchen. As the diagnosis and treatment often come too late, the emphasis must lay on prevention.},
  author       = {Caekebeke, Nele and Antonissen, Gunther and De Backer, Patrick and Croubels, Siska},
  issn         = {0303-9021},
  journal      = {VLAAMS DIERGENEESKUNDIG TIJDSCHRIFT},
  keywords     = {PTFE,TEFLON,INHALATION,EXPOSURE,THERMAL-DEGRADATION,ACUTE TOXICOSIS,POLYMER-FUME FEVER,PYROLYSIS PRODUCTS,HEATED POLYTETRAFLUOROETHYLENE,COMBUSTION},
  language     = {dut},
  number       = {1},
  pages        = {3--8},
  title        = {Polytetrafluorethyleen-intoxicatie bij vogels},
  url          = {http://vdt.ugent.be/sites/default/files/art1%20in%20Dutch.pdf},
  volume       = {85},
  year         = {2016},
}

Web of Science
Times cited: