Advanced search

Muscarinic receptor subtypes, beta-adrenoceptors and camp in the tracheal smooth-muscle of conventional and double-muscled calves.

Author
Organization
Abstract
The total muscarinic (M1 + M2 + M3) and beta-adrenergic receptors in the tracheal smooth muscle of conventional and double-muscled calves were identified and characterized with the non-specific antagonists [H-3]quinuclidinyl benzilate ([H-3]QNB) and [H-3]dihydroalprenolol ([H-3]DHA) respectively. Although the quantity of beta-adrenoceptors in double-muscled calves was 25% lower (p < 0.05) than in conventional calves (Bmax = 327 +/- 89 fmol/mg protein), adenylate cyclase assays indicated that the basal adenylate cyclase activity and the (-)-isopropylnoradrenaline (ISO)- and sodium fluoride (NaF)-stimulated values were not significantly different between these calves. However, the density of muscarinic receptors in double-muscled calves was 40% higher (p < 0.01) than in conventional calves (Bmax = 2955 +/- 625 fmol/mg protein). Subtypes of muscarinic receptors were studied with [H-3]telenzepine (M1-receptors), [H-3]AF-DX 384 (M2-receptors) and [H-3]4DAMP (M1 and M3-receptors). It was found that in both double-muscled and conventional calves about 40% of the receptors were of the M3-subtype, the remaining 60% being M2-receptors. From these results,it is suggested that inflammation of the respiratory tract in double-muscled calves may be complicated by an imbalance between the cholinergic bronchoconstrictor and the beta-adrenergic bronchodilator components of the autonomic nervous system.
Keywords
DOUBLE-MUSCLED CALVES, MUSCARINIC RECEPTORS, BETA-ADRENOCEPTORS, TRACHEA, CHOLINERGIC RECEPTORS, MUCOSA, ADRENERGIC RECEPTORS, MEMBRANES, SMOOTH MUSCLE

Citation

Please use this url to cite or link to this publication:

Chicago
Roets, E, Christian Burvenich, and M Roberts. 1992. “Muscarinic Receptor Subtypes, Beta-adrenoceptors and Camp in the Tracheal Smooth-muscle of Conventional and Double-muscled Calves.” Veterinary Research Communications 16 (6): 465–476.
APA
Roets, E, Burvenich, C., & Roberts, M. (1992). Muscarinic receptor subtypes, beta-adrenoceptors and camp in the tracheal smooth-muscle of conventional and double-muscled calves. VETERINARY RESEARCH COMMUNICATIONS, 16(6), 465–476.
Vancouver
1.
Roets E, Burvenich C, Roberts M. Muscarinic receptor subtypes, beta-adrenoceptors and camp in the tracheal smooth-muscle of conventional and double-muscled calves. VETERINARY RESEARCH COMMUNICATIONS. 1992;16(6):465–76.
MLA
Roets, E, Christian Burvenich, and M Roberts. “Muscarinic Receptor Subtypes, Beta-adrenoceptors and Camp in the Tracheal Smooth-muscle of Conventional and Double-muscled Calves.” VETERINARY RESEARCH COMMUNICATIONS 16.6 (1992): 465–476. Print.
@article{200903,
  abstract     = {The total muscarinic (M1 + M2 + M3) and beta-adrenergic receptors in the tracheal smooth muscle of conventional and double-muscled calves were identified and characterized with the non-specific antagonists [H-3]quinuclidinyl benzilate ([H-3]QNB) and [H-3]dihydroalprenolol ([H-3]DHA) respectively. Although the quantity of beta-adrenoceptors in double-muscled calves was 25\% lower (p {\textlangle} 0.05) than in conventional calves (Bmax = 327 +/- 89 fmol/mg protein), adenylate cyclase assays indicated that the basal adenylate cyclase activity and the (-)-isopropylnoradrenaline (ISO)- and sodium fluoride (NaF)-stimulated values were not significantly different between these calves. However, the density of muscarinic receptors in double-muscled calves was 40\% higher (p {\textlangle} 0.01) than in conventional calves (Bmax = 2955 +/- 625 fmol/mg protein). Subtypes of muscarinic receptors were studied with [H-3]telenzepine (M1-receptors), [H-3]AF-DX 384 (M2-receptors) and [H-3]4DAMP (M1 and M3-receptors). It was found that in both double-muscled and conventional calves about 40\% of the receptors were of the M3-subtype, the remaining 60\% being M2-receptors. From these results,it is suggested that inflammation of the respiratory tract in double-muscled calves may be complicated by an imbalance between the cholinergic bronchoconstrictor and the beta-adrenergic bronchodilator components of the autonomic nervous system.},
  author       = {Roets, E and Burvenich, Christian and Roberts, M},
  issn         = {0165-7380},
  journal      = {VETERINARY RESEARCH COMMUNICATIONS},
  keyword      = {DOUBLE-MUSCLED CALVES,MUSCARINIC RECEPTORS,BETA-ADRENOCEPTORS,TRACHEA,CHOLINERGIC RECEPTORS,MUCOSA,ADRENERGIC RECEPTORS,MEMBRANES,SMOOTH MUSCLE},
  language     = {eng},
  number       = {6},
  pages        = {465--476},
  title        = {Muscarinic receptor subtypes, beta-adrenoceptors and camp in the tracheal smooth-muscle of conventional and double-muscled calves.},
  url          = {http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF01839024},
  volume       = {16},
  year         = {1992},
}

Altmetric
View in Altmetric